Sunday, May 23, 2010

Book Review: 5 Ministry Killers & How to Defeat Them by Dr. Charles Stone

Five Ministry Killers and How to Defeat Them: Help for Frustrated Pastors--Including New Research From the Barna GroupI recently received the book 5 Ministry Killers & How to Defeat Them by Dr. Charles Stone. It was sent to me by Glass Road PR in return for my unbiased review. I began reading the book with great interest. While I'm not in full-time ministry, I have been in part-time ministry in the past, so I was interested in seeing what the 5 killers would be. The more I read, the more I realized part of the book would be great extracted and marketed to non-ministry church members to find out all the things they are doing to stress out and aggravate their pastor. I was taken aback at a few of examples and, at least once, at how the pastor reacted to the behavior.

Dr. Stone used new research from the Barna Group, as well as other well-respected sources to determine what frustrates pastors. At a time when pastors are leaving the ministry at an astonishing rate, pastors clearly need help and support. I believe this book is a great first step. It identifies the biggest problems and gives a lot of ideas for overcoming them. I believe the ideas in this book will help many who are burning out and looking for answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment